Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Review: The Selection

                                       The Selection - Kiera Cass - HarperTeen
The “Facts”:  Paperback 327 Pages - Took about a week to read between tasks
Summary: (Taken from Goodreads): 
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

My Review:
When I picked this book up at the bookstore, it immediately caught my interest. Then a worker told me it was her pick of the month because it had a Bachelor like feel to it. That comparison almost made me put it down because I'm not a fan of the show. I decided to still give it a try, and I am very happy that I did.
America is already one of my favourite female protagonists. She seems strong, but she is also humble and relatable. The caste society really made me sad. There were so many people that were struggling and it seemed like they weren't cared about. 
When the author first introduces Aspen, I was on board with Aspen and America as  a couple. The fact that he was a caste lower than her played on my heart strings and I was rooting for him. Even after she first arrived at the Palace for the Selection, I was still trying to come up with a way for them to be together, then we met Prince Maxon.
Maxon is a such a lovable character and I really started to like his interaction with America. As time went on, I found myself no longer shipping Aspen and America, but now Maxon and America. They are really cute together and they seem to really understand each other. 
There was a pretty big shocker near the end and I cannot wait for the Elite to come out to see what happens!

Rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment