Wednesday, May 14, 2014

School Library updates!

I don't know how many of you are interested in the life of a school librarian, but I thought I would update none-the-less.

The school I work for has 2 big changes happening this summer. First, we were awarded a grant in which we will be able to go 1:1 with technology. This means that in September, every kid in our middle school will be given an Ipad. Secondly, we are remodeling/restructing parts of the school.


With the first, that means I will need to make changes in the middle school. We will need to get an e-book service, and start getting ebooks rolled out for the students. I already have audiobooks, and I plan on having a computer station in which the kids can 'burn' the audio cd to their ipads. So when they check-out an audio book, they can put it right on their computer then and there. However, it will need to be deleted the following week. This will be done through me. I'm still working out the kinks on this process, but we're still in planning mode. If YOU can think of any good ways to incorporate technology in the library, please share!

The most exciting but stressful part of all of this is the restructuring. The main reason for this is we want to move our school's office to the front doors. With school shootings and the like, we want to make it where the only way to get in to the school after the main doors are locked is to go through the office. As it is now, the doors are right in between the entrance to the gym, and my library. Our lobby is a giant square, and the office is on the opposite side of the lobby as the main entrance. You can see why this is a problem.

You can probably see where this affects me, too. The spot where they are putting the new office, is right smack-dab in my library. Thankfully, our contracts for everything came in under budget, so they are now making it up to me by expanding my library. I will be moving, and expanding! I will be gaining the computer lab, however. Right now our Computer lab is connected to the library by a door. It is it's own room. Next year, the lab will be inside my library, which will be an 'L' shape.

This means that I need to completely inventory the library, and box up every book and every bookmark, and all my rolls of tape so that we are ready. Right now, construction crews are already prepping the ground for foundation work. I have 3 weeks to finish everything! With over 12,000 books, you can imagine this takes FOREVER to do.

We are at 80% inventoried, and about 1/3rd packed.

My library, is a MESS!

BUUUT, I can't wait to see the end result in a few months! It's going to be AMAZING!
-Jenni


No comments:

Post a Comment